22 Year Old AJ vs 37 Year Old AJ

So this morning I got up, dressed, brushed my teeth, fed the cats, did some dishes, made coffee, made my lunch, watered the plants and still had some time to sit on the back porch and drink coffee before work.  Back porch time includes this post.  It feels good.


Last year Pat and I talked about how our visits now have to be purposeful, as we’ve outgrown the “Let’s just get together and do stuff,” of our 20’s.  Thinking about that I came up with a plan.  The new plan / aspiration – bike from Cleveland to Buffalo over the course of a weekend.  Pat can ship his bike from Portland, Maine to here.  We can then split the 200 mile ride over two days – spending the night in Erie Pennsylvania on the way out since it is almost exactly the half-way point.

However during the conversation 22 Year Old AJ combated 37 Year Old AJ.  37 year old AJ is ready to go.  However much it would suck, it’d also be fun.  When 37 Year Old Pat raised concerned that he’s not sure he’s ready for a one day 100 mile ride, much less two 100 mile days in a row. 37 Year Old AJ commiserated, I mean after all my legs are sore after biking 150 miles over one week.  But in my mind biking 100 miles in one day would be something that I go at a much more reserved pace than when I’m just out biking 20 – 30 miles.  But 37 year old Pat has valid concerns and 37 Year Old AJ understood them.

Now in the back of my mind, 22 Year Old AJ was hurling insults of all sorts towards Pat to goad him into riding.  After all, it was 28 Year Old Pat’s insults that ultimately led to me shattering my collar bone when I initially was hesitant about doing something and let him goad me into it.

When I told Pat what 22 Year Old AJ was shouting, he said 22 Year Old Pat was right there in the back of his mind as well.  22 Year Old Pat was ready to make this both a race, drinking competition and put some money aside for a bet on who would do better on this trip.  Yeah….22 Year Old AJ had all those ideas too.

We haven’t thrown out this idea completely, but 37 Year Old Pat and AJ apparently need to evaluate their lives a little more before actually embarking on something like this.

Bike to Work

I got up and biked to work this morning.  It was gorgeous mid-60’s and clear. 

It is after all National Bike to Work Day.


I was keeping all the hope alive that it wouldn’t rain until later this evening, like predicted and that I could make it home ahead the blustery ‘damaging winds’ and thunderstorms that aren’t supposed to start til after 5:30pm.

Of course instead it started raining within minutes of my arrival.  Now the best I can hope for is a break this afternoon where I can bike home.  Otherwise I may look into catching a ride home.

It’s the old joke…


about weathermen being able to be wrong so often by so much.

Yesterday I was waiting for a break in the rain to go biking.  Around 3 the rain stopped outside my apartment, and I checked different weather forecasts (mostly Weather.com and Wunderground.com) to see if it’d hold off long enough to get a bike ride in.

Weather.com gave a 0% chance of rain from 3pm – 4pm, 5% chance of rain from 4pm to 5pm and a 20% chance of rain from 5pm to 6pm, and increasing chance of rain past that.  Wunderground was higher than that, giving a 20% chance of rain until 5pm, when it jumped up considerable to around 60% chance of rain.

However both radar and future radar showed the clouds clearing up and no rain.  I took it as a good sign that this was the best chance I’d get, and maybe I could get in 30 – 40 miles of biking in.

About a half mile in it started sprinkling.  No big deal.  Around the first mile marker it turned to downpour, and continued until I decided to cut my ride short around mile 12 and turn around.  Thankfully it let up for the ride home.




That’s a lie.  It seemed to pour harder the whole way home.  That pelting rain that lets you feel every drop.  That’s the rain that was going on while I was biking.

And thus… I hate the weatherman.  All of them.

But that’s just based on my personal experiences.

Relaxed Biking

I haven’t biked with a group of people in a long time.

I generally biked for distance or for speed.  Basically as hard and as fast as I can.  Which probably isn’t good for my legs in the long run.  So I joined Meetup.com and went for a ride with people yesterday.

They met up 9 miles from my apartment and biked slowly for 14 miles or so.  Basically you bike out for 40 minutes and back.  So I biked the whole way talking to a few people.  I had a long talk with a 10 year old on the ride about Garfield.  Garfield is his favorite cartoon character.  I then went out for dinner with them at a bar/pub around the corner from where me met.

So yeah, a nice slow ride.  Felt almost like slacking.  I think this summer I’d bike to wherever we meet, go for the 14 or so mile bike ride, and bike back to the apartment to throw a little more distance in.  But yeah, leisurely bike riding, I’m down for that once in a while.  It felt good.

Strangely enough, as much as I love my cyclocross bike, I’ve been eyeing road bikes too.

That’s a ways off though.

By the way, since buying my new bike the first week of April, I’ve bike over 450 miles.  Not too bad.

Best Thinking


I do my best thinking on my bike.

When I’m out on long rides I listen to music or audiobooks or the news, but these don’t distract my mind from wandering.  I’ve come up with stories, book ideas, things to draw, blog entries, and other random deep thoughts.  I’ll have the greatest ideas every, things I get excited about to implement or do when I get home.

The problem is that I forget everything I’ve thought of as soon as I finish my ride.  Its like I get all this blood pumping to my head while biking and clears away the background noise constantly buzzing in my head.  Nothing going on except biking and the thoughts in my brain.  No distractions.

Someday, I’ll be able to harness this for the good of all mankind I’m sure.